Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge from Manhattan and you’ll end up in DUMBO – Down Under the Manhattan Bridge Overpass. This relatively small and walkable neighbourhood punches above its weight in must do experiences.
Here are a few of my favourites:
1. Whether you’re a pizza lover or not Juliani’s owned by the undisputed king of the coal-oven baked pizza, Patsy Grimaldi is definitely worth a stop for lunch.
2. Being a chocaholic I can’t go by master chocolate maker, Jacques Torres. If you’re game the ‘wicked’ hot chocolate comes spiked with ancho and chipotle chilli peppers.
3. Regardless of the temperature give yourself an ice cream fix at the Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory.
4. You’ll think you’ve been transported to France when you taste the croissants and baguettes from owner and pastry chef, Herve Poussot, in his bakery, Almondine.
5. For fashion and accessories head to Trunk, all designed locally and part of the made in Brooklyn, sold in Brooklyn movement.
6. Chamber music fans can enjoy free one-hour recitals on Saturday afternoon at Bargemusic – a decommissioned coffee barge. Music with a view.
7. An art gallery not to miss is Masters Project, specialising in relatively unknown local and international artists.